Saturday, October 1, 2011

Day 41 - Mutiny!

We had a bit of a mutiny yesterday.  As we studied the maps on today's ride, we noticed that as we rode out of Charleston to the north, we would circle around the outskirts of the City and begin heading south and we would travel about 140 miles to a place that if we just headed south out of the city, we would get there in about 70 miles.  This trip to Charleston is a spur on our maps that allow you to come into the city, but to get back out, you just follow the spur back out.  Anyway, we all thought that we could not travel today and be at the same place we were supposed to be in tomorrow night, with a lot less travel.  We all put the proposal to our leader last night and he petty much had to conform because no one was going to ride the route that was mapped out.
So, this day really has been a day of rest.  We all did very little and this has been the first day on the trip that has been a second day of no riding.  There is a WWII aircraft carrier on the other side of the harbor that I wanted to visit called the Yorktown.  It was very interesting, but was much the same as the battleship that I visited in North Carolina.  Today is also General Conference for the LDS church and I was able to stream the sessions in on my phone, which I really enjoyed.  I wish that I would be able to listen tomorrow as well, but as I move around, it is real easy to lose the signal. I think I will try to listen on the bike, but I would be surprised if it works.

There is not many miles to report today.  I did ride the bike around town today instead of walk and taking the bus.  The bus just took too long to come around.  I think everyone in the group really enjoyed the two days off the bike.  It seems the moral of the group is better than it has been in a while.

It is hard to believe that it is October.  The weather here really cooled down today.  It was about 90 degrees yesterday and I think the high today and for this weekend is only about 70.  The wind really blew here today and I am hoping that it is not quite so strong tomorrow.



Here are a few more pictures of the city.  They have quite a few cobblestone streets in the city and they say they came from stones they would put in the ships from Europe to use as ballast as they would come over carrying furniture which was quite light and carry rice and tobacco back which is heavy so the would leave the rocks

No comments:

Post a Comment