Friday, June 17, 2022

Day 14 - Benbow, CA to Fort Bragg, CA

 Miles 70, Total 597

This was a tough day.  We knew we had some climbing to do today and we sure did.  As near as I can calculate, we climbed about 5,000 feet today. My adventure cycling app says 8,000' but I don’t think that is right.

It was some beautiful riding.  We rode through a few more State Redwood parks and then over a mountain pass to get back to the Pacific Ocean.  There was a little bit of everything today. We left Highway 101 and started traveling on Highway 1.  The traffic was very good and patient all the way to Fort Bragg, but as we got closer to the city, people were in a bit more of a hurry.

We climbed to an elevation of about 1,800 feet and coming down from that was the best downhill I have ever had on a bike. The turns were spaced just right that I didn’t have to brake too much and the turns were just the right size that I could just lean into them on the bike.  It really felt like I was on the motorcycle.  It was a lot of fun.  I wish I had the energy to climb again just to come down.

It was nice to see the ocean again.  With the clear skies here, the ocean looks so blue.  It’s totally different than in Oregon.

Went out for dinner tonight. Everyone was too tired to cook.  Went to a pizza place close by and had pizza and a salad.  It really hit the spot.


The ocean as we cam back to it today.


This was the tiniest post office I think I have ever seen.  Not manned by anyone.


Pretty rock.


This was the bike path that led us the last few miles into Fort Bragg.


See the road that we traveled.  This doesn’t show it too well, but the coast is just a constant up and down.  You are constantly shifting gears.

The order of my pictures is a little messed up.  This is inside that post office.

No comments:

Post a Comment