Tuesday, June 21, 2022

Day 18 - Olema, CA to San Francisco, CA

 Miles 34, Total 778

Well we made it.  It was a great last day of riding as well. We weren’t planning on leaving all that early, but as we were getting things together, we could tell it was going to be a warmer day than we were used to, so we took off shortly after 8.  It was a good thing too.  As we were traveling through Sausalito, it was 95 degrees. For being a short riding day, we again took much of the day getting it done.

We had a good change of scenery today.  Right out of Olema, we had to climb over a hill to get back on our route.  It was a pretty decent climb. We were then on a bike trail for about 6 miles and then going through urban areas as we got closer to San Francisco and the bridge.

We ended up stopping at a doughnut place and grabbing us a few doughnuts as it got closer to lunch and never did get to the sandwiches we made this morning until we were in the RV heading to our camping spot tonight.

We then got to the bridge and just took our time going across.  I think it was back in 2016 that I rode across the bridge as I joined an adventure cycling group in going from San Francisco to the Mexico border by San Diego.  I now have ridden the Pacific Coast of the US from top to bottom.  Yay!! Tim asked me what it felt like and I said, “Not much different than it did yesterday”. 😊

It does feel good.  It has been another cycling goal of mine and I am happy that it could happen.  I will write later my thoughts on the Pacific Coast and what I can remember. 

We drove to Vallejo as there didn’t seem to be RV places close to San Francisco and as we drove inland, the temperature just kept going up.  On the road, the RV was saying it was 106 outside.  When we got to the park, the air conditioner in the RV just couldn’t keep up.  We didn’t have great eating places around us and we didn’t feel like taking everything down and driving so we walked down the street and had our celebratory dinner at Subway.  It actually tasted really good and hit the spot.  We then spent our evening watching the first Lord of the Rings as Tim and Nancy had never seen them.  It was long but fun.

Here are some pictures from today. I do have to say that many of my pictures are shared with me by Nancy.  She is a much better photographer than me, so if they are good, they are probably from her.


The golden hills of California.  Quite a difference from Washington and the Redwoods.

Our camp in Olema.


The bike trail we were on this morning.


San Francisco in the distance.


Going across the bridge.


I think the three of us are happy to be done.




That is a picture of the cable holding that bridge up.  That is a crazy big cable.



No comments:

Post a Comment